Intermittent Fasting is a hot topic, and there are many opinions about what constitutes a fast, the length of a fast, and how to do Intermittent Fasting correctly. Like any other trend relating to diet and food, there are so many opinions. Deciding the best plan for you is overwhelming.
Intermittent Fasting is no different, and one controversy surrounding fasting is the concept of a Dirty Fast versus a Clean Fast.
Dirty Fasting vs Clean Fasting
A “Dirty Fast” and a “Clean Fast” are two different approaches to fasting that people may choose to follow depending on their fasting goals and preferences.
A “Dirty Fast” generally refers to a style of fasting where a person consumes zero-calorie beverages or supplements, such as coffee, tea, or supplements, during their fasting period. They may also consume small amounts of food, or beverages with a low-calorie content, such as bone broth, apple cider vinegar, or lemon water. The idea is to maintain a state of fasting while still providing the body with some nutrients and hydration.
On the other hand, a “Clean Fast” refers to a stricter form of fasting where a person consumes only water, black coffee, or tea during their fasting period. This approach aims to keep the body in a state of complete fasting, with no intake of calories or nutrients.
Both dirty fasting and clean fasting can be effective for weight loss, improved insulin sensitivity, and other health benefits associated with fasting. However, some people find dirty fasting more sustainable and easier to stick to, while others prefer clean fasting for its more rigorous approach.
Deciding how to fast also is dependent on your goals. If your goal is just weight loss, then the rigor of the fast is not as important. If your goal is to reverse Stage 4 chronic illness, then a more “clean” and rigorous fast may be necessary.
Is Dirty Fasting or Clean Fasting More Effective?
In her book, Fast Feast Repeat, author Gin Stephens writes that a clean fast is truly the way to a more successful outcome from intermittent fasting. Research also shows that there are more benefits to a clean fast than a dirty fast.
However, this doesn’t mean that a dirty fast doesn’t come with health benefits. Weight loss may be harder on a dirty fast; however, dedicated, clean fasting fans will generally oppose any supplements being taken during the fasting window. This may be misleading as there are supplements that will not break a fast and will actually help to enhance the benefits of fasting.
Intermittent Fasting Benefits
When deciding on how to fast, it is first important to take a look at the benefits of fasting and if the mode in which you are choosing to fast will enhance these results.
The benefits of fasting may include:
- Improving insulin sensitivity and lowering blood sugar.
- Enhancing fat loss
- Boosting metabolism
- Triggering autophagy
- Enhancing ATP and mitochondrial health
- Enhancing fat burning by entering a state of ketosis
- Repairing leaky gut
- Detoxing the tissues, blood, and cells
- Improving inflammation
- Enhancing cognition
- Improving hormonal balance
- Reversing estrogen dominance
- Improving fertility
- Strengthening bones
The Goal of Fasting
One of the main goals of fasting is to trigger Autophagy.
The term autophagy means “self-eating,” where cells use their own components to rebuild new cells. Autophagy is triggered when you are in a state of calorie or energy deprivation, or if you are exercising. It is stimulated by low levels of insulin and a ketogenic diet. Autophagy helps combat free radicals, which accelerate aging and decline.
Autophagy may help:
- Regenerate aging cells and enhance anti-aging mechanisms
- Improve detoxification of heavy metals, toxins, poisons, and radiation
- Improve the Immune System
- Clean internal cellular machinery
- Recycle mitochondria through a process called Mitophagy
- Improve Insulin Resistance
- Improve Growth Hormone and Testosterone
- Improve muscle mass which is associated with longevity
- Decrease Skin Sag for those who have lost weight and have loose skin
- Improve recovery from Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Prevent or slows down the progression of Alzheimer’s or Dementia
- Cellular breakdown and protein breakdown to then be recycled.
- Suppress MTOR
- Improve Circadian Rhythm and Sleep
10 Reasons Autophagy isn’t Triggered?
1. Not fasting long enough. In general, food is in your stomach for about 4.5 hours. Most people count their fasting window from the time they stop eating, but you should be counting from 5 hours after you eat. Autophagy usually begins around 17 hours of fasting, but that could be different depending on the level of insulin resistance in the body.
2. Drinking fatty coffee. Even though it doesn’t stimulate insulin, it still puts you in a fed state. Ketone bodies stimulate autophagy. Excess calories whether they come from MCT oil or other fats will stop autophagy.
3. Supplementing with BCAAs or Branched Chain Amino Acids. If you are taking BCAA’s, take them during exercise or they will kick you out of ketosis and can actually cause fat gain.
4. Consuming artificial sweeteners. Most fake sweeteners will raise insulin. Aspartame, Saccharin, and agave will all create an insulin response that immediately turns off autophagy. Even stevia and xylitol will cause a bit of a spike in insulin as your body is getting a sweet taste.
5. Consuming Supplements with Calories. If you are taking a lot of supplements, the calories can add up and trigger an insulin response, kicking you out of autophagy.
6. Circadian rhythms. HGH and autophagy spike between 11 pm-2 am. Those are the most important hours of sleep. If the body is not asleep during these hours, it will miss out on the benefits of HGH and autophagy.
7. Not doing a prolonged fast. Autophagy reaches its peak at about 72 hours; depending on your goals for fasting, you may want to lengthen your fast beyond 24 hours and extend it to 48 or 72 hours for optimal autophagy effects.
8. Doing too many prolonged fasts too often. If the body sees the fast as a chronic stressor, it may start burning muscle for fuel, causing muscle wasting, which will actually kick the body out of ketosis.
9. Not consuming sufficient nutrients and minerals. It is important to get wild organic animal proteins, minerals, and electrolytes. The essential nutrients help “clean out” and mobilize the toxins out of the cells during autophagy.
10. Not exercising. Exercise promotes autophagy, mobilizes fat oxidation, and keeps insulin and blood sugar low. Strength training, yoga, walking, and high intensity training all enhance fasting results.
What Breaks a Fast?
How do you know if something breaks your fast? If in doubt, measure your blood sugar before food or drink, and then measure it 30 minutes after consumption. If the number rises more than 10 points, you have a blood sugar and insulin response. This is a sign that it breaks fast.
Liquids that Increase Fasting Benefits
Water. Hydration is imperative for cellular cleansing and doesn’t break a clean fast or a dirty fast.
Coffee. Milky coffee may be considered a “dirty fast”, but black coffee actually is encouraged during a clean fast and can enhance autophagy, flush the liver and increase ketones in the body.
Mineral Water. Mineral water has no calories and won’t trigger an insulin response.
Apple Cider Vinegar. This is known to lower blood sugar with meals and during fasting. Adding a little to water can also help suppress appetite and actually start breaking down gallstones.
Electrolytes and Salt. Electrolytes and minerals are important to supplement with during a fast; they provide the “energy” for physical and mental activity, in addition to “plumping” up the blood volume for cleansing. You want to make sure that the electrolyte mix has minimal calories if any.
Hydrogen water. Hydrogen water can have its benefits and contains no calories to break a fast. It is known to help with cognitive function, neutralize free radicals and oxidative stress, alleviate depression, improve insulin resistance, improve the immune system, and increase ATP. All of these factors are benefits of fasting, and Hydrogen water enhances those results.
PerfectAminos. PerfectAminos provides muscle-building amino acids without calories like other protein powders. It may halt autophagy but it allows the body to stay in a state of ketosis. Therefore, it depends on what your fasting goals are for whether you should incorporate them during the fast or during the eating window.
Liquids that Break a Fast
Diet Soda. Diet soda not only is extremely acidic, and full of fake colors and chemicals, but the artificial sweeteners destroy the gut and trigger an insulin response. This not only breaks a fast, but also increases sugar cravings to compensate for the insulin release. Lastly, it is creating false energy that is draining the adrenals and spiking cortisol which is a stress and fat storing hormone.
Green Juices. Green juices are touted as healthy, but they are full of calories, sugar, and they absolutely break a fast. Additionally, they are typically full of plant poisons including oxalates, lectins, and sulfur that back up the liver, and negate any positive benefits from fasting.
Protein Drinks. Most protein powders are accompanied by calories that halt autophagy and trigger “MTor”. They trigger an insulin response and can actually lead to weight gain. Furthermore, protein powders like pea protein, whey, soy, and hemp have inflammatory ingredients and mycotoxins that negate the benefits of fasting as well.
Collagen Powder. Many people like putting collagen in their coffee during a “dirty” fast. This most likely halts autophagy, but the insulin spike may be minimal. The best way to know is to measure your blood sugar before and after.
Supplements to Enhance Intermittent Fasting Results
The Accelerated Intermittent Fasting Kit is composed of supplements to work synergistically to maximize the benefits of Intermittent Fasting, while providing enhanced physical and mental energy, suppressing appetite, and encouraging effective and sustainable weight loss.
Read on to learn about the supplements included in the Accelerated Intermittent Fasting Kit.
One of the primary health benefits of Intermittent Fasting is increasing ATP and mitochondrial health, which are the “powerhouses” of the cells. When mitochondrial health improves, anti-aging mechanisms become engaged, the immune system strengthens, metabolism improves, and fat-burning increases.
Acceleradine® increases ATP by 18 times in all 100 trillion cells of the body. It also supports optimal thyroid health, reverses hypothyroidism, Hashimoto’s and other metabolic diseases, and supports weight loss goals.
The thyroid controls the complete endocrine system, controlling the adrenals, gonads, and more. If it isn’t functioning properly because of low iodine, there may be a cascade of hormonal and adrenal issues occurring. This chain reaction will make weight loss impossible.
Acceleradine® iodine helps detox the brain of toxins like fluoride, improving mood and cognitive function.
Furthermore, because Acceleradine® is antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral, and antibacterial, it helps control pathogens that can inhibit weight loss and cause sugar cravings. It also increases fat oxidation, caloric burn, physical energy, wound healing, healthy apoptosis (destruction of diseased cells), and more. Apoptosis is one of the top benefits of autophagy and there is a direct correlation between iodine and reducing diseased cells and foreign pathogens in the body.
Accelerated Keto™ is the key to seamless intermittent fasting and lasting weight loss. As it puts the body into fat-burning mode, or ketosis within 30 minutes, appetite is immediately suppressed, and weight loss mechanisms are triggered. Accelerated Keto™ helps:
- Improve mental focus and increases performance
- Suppress the appetite for Intermittent Fasting
- Boost ketones
- Convert fat to provide sustained energy
- Curb cravings for sugar and carb
- Support low-carb lifestyle
- Support faster metabolism
- Maintain long-term weight management
- Provide energy for exercise and brain activity
- Stimulate a metabolic shift away from glucose dependence
- Provide a constant source of clean energy that lasts for 8-12 hours
- Allow the cells to produce 10 times the amount of ATP than from glucose
- Support cognitive health allowing the brain to use ketones for energy
The additional ingredients in Accelerated Keto™ maximize the weight loss and intermittent fasting goals beyond any other keto supplement. Those ingredients include:
L-Threonine is known as the ultimate aging supplement because it de-fats the liver. It breaks down saturated fats into unsaturated fats.
These unsaturated fats are easier for the body to utilize, as L-threonine converts the solid stored fat in the body into a liquid unsaturated fat, which is then easier for the body to burn. Due to this property, L-Threonine is able to de-fat the liver as well. The liver has to convert stored fat into energy or ketones, and it is the liver that produces the ketones from fats.
Moreover, the liver is also where the thyroid hormone converts from T4 to T3, and as the liver function becomes better, the thyroid works better as well, increasing metabolism further.
Mukul Cammiphora is known to break down fats in the body, provide a spark to burn those fats that it breaks down, detoxify the liver, and act as a slight diuretic.
Trikatu helps increase the digestive “fire”, thus allowing for extremely high absorption of ketones and other cofactors, as well as increasing the metabolic rate. It also helps eliminate excess water weight, improve digestion, and maximize metabolism.
PurCaf is a natural form of caffeine derived from organic green coffee beans that doesn’t cause jitters and the dreaded caffeine crash.
Because of this, Accelerated Keto™ only needs to use less than a quarter of the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee per serving.
TeaCrine™ and Dynamine™
Theacrine™ enhances energy, mental focus, mood, and motivation. We have found that Theacrine works synergistically with PurCaf and Dynamine providing an optimal energy experience that lasts hours without the jitters or crash. Combined with the ketones, it amplifies clarity and mental focus. Dynamine is known to amplify energy, focus, and mood by activating dopamine and other key neurotransmitters, all without elevating blood pressure or heart rate.
The combination of TeaCrine, Dynamine and PurCaf work synergistically to give steady energy, making it easier for intermittent fasting while curbing appetite.
BHB helps prevent muscle loss and supports lean muscle mass while intermittent fasting.
Most people with anxiety, depression or suboptimal brain function have suboptimal thyroid function, sluggish metabolism and unwanted weight gain. Accelerated Thyroid® is the most complete thyroid supplement that helps increase metabolism, fat oxidation, brain function, energy, and weight loss which supports easy fasting. Unlike any other thyroid supplement, Accelerated Thyroid® is enhanced with Scalar frequencies to detox the thyroid from the heavy metals and radiation that may be contributing to weight gain. The benefits to the thyroid are compounded during intermittent fasting.
Accelerated Ancient Salt™
During periods of intermittent fasting, energy is derived from fat stores, but is also dependent on intracellular hydration coming from all of the minerals and electrolytes found in Accelerated Ancient Salt. This salt is Scalar charged ancient sea salts that help optimize detox and optimal cellular rehydration.
Accelerated Ancient Salt™ helps:
- Replenish electrolytes
- Control appetite and sugar cravings
- Lower blood sugar
- Minimize occasional nausea
- Detoxify toxins from the body
- Break down undigested fats
- Add delicious flavor to your food
Additional Supplements to Help Enhance Intermittent Fasting Results
Cogniblast™ is a cutting-edge natural brain enhancement supplement that optimizes mental energy, focus, and memory in the short term and prevents long-term memory decline. Most people lack brain energy when they begin intermittent fasting. This incredible nootropic helps give your brain the power needed to function optimally while fasting. Moreover, Cogniblast™ increases ATP and cellular energy, improves motivation, reduces stress, improves circulation, and decreases inflammation— all factors that support intermittent fasting and weight loss.
Accelerated Cellular Detox® Powder
This organic detox formula soaks up the toxins from heavy metals, food, and radiation as the body cleanses from fasting.
As the body engages in autophagy, and “cleans up” the diseased and damaged cells, the Accelerated Cellular Detox® Powder absorbs the released toxins, coats the stomach and intestinal lining, reduces inflammation, and helps with bloat and regularity. Many people have gut issues they are trying to heal with Intermittent fasting; This Detox Powder soaks up all of the toxins that contribute to gut issues and unexplained weight gain. As inflammation is decreased and weight-gaining toxins are soaked up, absorption of nutrients is improved and weight loss is improved.
Liver Flush Cleanse
The liver is responsible for fat metabolism, optimal thyroid function and detoxification— all factors that contribute to weight loss. The supplements in the Liver Flush Cleanse work together to soften liver stones and prep the liver to release those stones out of the body. As a result, detoxification, fat burning and metabolic rate increases. Cleansing the liver is enhancing the benefits of intermittent fasting.
The Liver Flush Cleanse helps to:
- Improve the breakdown of protein and fats
- Eliminate pain, cramps, and inflammation
- Lower AST and ALT liver enzyme counts
- Replace damaged liver cells with healthy ones
- Reverse fatty liver disease
- Eliminate thousands of toxins and pollutants
- Reverse drug and alcohol liver damage
- Flush out unhealthy cholesterol deposits
- Open obstructions in the liver and gallbladder
- Boost the immune system
- Allow the liver and gallbladder to regenerate.
During intermittent fasting, the body is detoxing heavy metals and radiation which could be contributing to unexplained weight gain. NucNoMore® is a Scalar Frequency charged ORMES formula that supports the removal of harmful non-ionizing and ionizing radiation, including EMFs. The combination of intermittent fasting with Nucnomore will help zero out the radiation that could be the cause of weight gain.
Maximize Weight Loss Results Using These Additional Tools
Stem Cell Activation Patches
Stem cell activation patches and lifestyle changes will increase fat oxidation, energy, and mental focus, in addition to improving digestion, bloat, and water retention.
The X49 is a patch that may reduce body fat, increase energy and recovery after exercise, improve cardiovascular function and focus, increase muscle tone and strength, increase lean body mass, and strengthen bone density. The X49 improves weight loss results when combined with the Accelerated Intermittent Fasting Kit.
Energy Enhancer Patches
These patches enhance caloric burn, fat loss, and metabolic rate. An additional 300 calories are burned with the Energy Enhancer Patches. They do this by increasing ATP production in the mitochondria, while also increasing heart rate variability, improving cellular health, reducing inflammation, and increasing endurance. Furthermore, it increases beta-oxidation which is the fastest way to increase fat loss.
As a plus, the Energy Enhancer Patches increase fat burning and muscle growth. They work synergistically with the Accelerated Keto in your fat burning and tap into an endless supply of fuel sources on your body. All of these factors work synergistically with the Intermittent Fasting Kit to enhance the results. Additionally, adding these patches to the Intermittent Fasting Kit improves digestion and circulation which are essential for nutrient absorption that lead to weight loss.
X39 Stell Cell Activation Patches
These patches increase your own stem cell production and reset over 4,000 genes to a younger state, including the genes responsible for fat burning and insulin sensitivity. As a result, it enhances the desired results from the Accelerated Intermittent Fasting Kit including initiating autophagy, repairing collagen in all tissues, healing the Leaky Gut, activating stem cell production, encouraging apoptosis of cancer and diseased cells, and discouraging metastatic cancer cells. It improves the overall energy of the body, organ balance, and symmetry distribution of energy. While using X39, weight loss and intermittent fasting results will be enhanced.
The Carnosine Patches will enhance energy and endurance, which will accelerate the weight loss results from the Intermittent Fasting Kit and intermittent fasting.
Carnosine is a naturally occurring antioxidant in the body, of which production declines with age. Studies on carnosine show that it plays a vital role in overall health, neuroprotection, and anti-aging.
Carnosine has also been shown to improve flexibility, strength, balance, and endurance. All of these factors may enhance the desired weight loss goals of intermittent fasting.
Sara Banta is a Stanford University Graduate with a Degree in Economics and Psychology, and a certified Natural Supplement Expert & Graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Sara is the Founder of Accelerated Health Products and host of the health & wellness podcast, Accelerated Health Radio.